Celebrating Music in Our Schools Month:
Numerous events planned at GCSD throughout the month of March
Feb. 23, 2012—March is national Music In Our Schools Month (MIOSM)! In celebration, Guilderland Central School District is proud to announce a month full of events demonstrating excellence in music education:
• On March 5, Guilderland High School senior Halli Travers will be performing with the All State Jazz ensemble on NYSSMA Day at the Albany Convention Center. There is an 11 a.m. performance in the concourse as well as an evening reception with state legislators beginning at 6 p.m.
• Throughout the month, GCSD will welcome touring collegiate ensembles including the Bowling Green State University Men's Chorus, who will be performing at Guilderland High School on March 5 beginning at 7:30 p.m. The High School Chamber Choir is scheduled to open that show. On March 7, the Fredonia Brass Ensemble will perform at Farnsworth Middle School beginning at 2 p.m. On March 16, the Potsdam Pitches (an acapella group) will be on stage at GHS beginning at 9 a.m.
• March also features student theatrical productions: Farnsworth Middle School MASK presents “Fiddler on the Roof” from March 9-11 and the Guilderland Players of Guilderland High School present “Hairspray” from March 15-18.
• On March 12, several student ensembles are slated to perform at the Empire State Plaza. The Farnsworth Middle School Select Band and the FMS Jazz Ensemble will perform in the South Concourse beginning at 12:25 p.m. On March 26, the Guilderland High School Chamber Choir will perform in the South Concourse beginning at 11:30 a.m. Both concerts are free and open to the public.
• On March 21, the community is invited to attend the annual Cabaret at FMS, featuring the jazz and stage bands from the Middle and High Schools. Students demonstrate their creativity through improvisation; the instantaneous creation of music in the moment.
• Spring concerts round out the month with Lynnwood Elementary (3/26), Westmere Elementary (3/27), Pine Bush Elementary (3/28), and Farnsworth Middle School 8th Grade Band & Chorus and 6th Grade Orchestra (3/29).
Music In Our Schools Month is a nationwide event saluting excellence in music education. MENC: The National Association for Music Education sponsors this annual celebration, which focuses national attention on the importance of music in our schools. This year’s theme is “Music Lasts a Lifetime.”
We invite you to witness excellence at every developmental stage of music education by attending one or more of the events listed above. For more information, please contact District Music Administrator Lori Hershenhart at 861-8591, ext. 1106.