The Board of Education is committed to providing a safe and economical transportation system for district students. Transportation shall be provided at district expense to those students who are eligible as authorized by the Board.
The major objectives in the management of the student transportation program shall include the following:
- to provide efficient, effective and safe service;
- to ensure that all students whose disability or distance from school requires them to receive necessary transportation do, in fact, receive it;
- to adapt the system to the demands of the instructional program;
- to maintain transportation vehicles in the best possible condition;
- to review at least once a year school bus schedules and routing plans to ensure that maximum efficiency and safety are maintained; and
- to review as necessary the eligibility for transportation of students residing in the district, to ensure that all students who are entitled to such services receive them.
Students are not entitled to “door to door” transportation. It is the responsibility of the parent, guardian, or daycare provider to ensure safe travel of the student(s) to and/or from the bus stop.
The Superintendent of Schools shall be responsible for administering the transportation program. The program shall comply with all applicable laws, regulations and policies established by federal, state and local authorities.
Cross-ref: 4531, Field Trips and Excursions
5320, Student Conduct on School Buses
6254, Nonresident Tuition
Ref: Education Law §§305(14); 1501-b; 1807; 3602(7); 3623; 3635 et seq.
Matter of Handicapped Child, 24 EDR 41
Matter of Zakrezewski, 22 EDR 391
Matter of Nowak, 22 EDR 91
Matter of Fox, 19 EDR 439
Appeal of Heuser, 36 id. 368
Appeal of DiNapoli, Decision No. 14,030
Appeal of Warner, 37 ED Dept Rep 469
Note: Policy added
Adopted April 27, 1999
Adopted December 7, 2010
Reviewed and Adopted June 16, 2015
Reviewed October 29, 2019