Earlier this week the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) and the New York State Education Department (NYSED) issued a joint letter to school districts across the state providing recommendations for preventing the spread of illness.
Over the past few weeks, cases of influenza, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) and COVID-19 have increased statewide, presenting challenges for healthcare providers and school districts alike. While these viruses are often manageable, they can have serious outcomes, especially for children.
In response, NYSDOH and NYSED encourage following these commonsense precautions to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses:
- Stay up-to-date on vaccines, including flu and COVID-19.
- Wash your hands often with soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds.
- Sneeze or cough into your elbow, not into your hands.
- Stay home when sick and/or experiencing symptoms.
- Wear a well-fitting, high-quality mask when in public indoor spaces.
The health and safety of the students, staff and families of the Guilderland Central School District continue to be a priority for the district; we appreciate your partnership and cooperation towards that goal.