Position: Auto Mechanic
Application Deadline: 9/27/2019
Anticipated Start Date: As Soon As Possible
Distinguishing Features of the Class:
Employee in this class performs skilled work involving the responsibility for the complete overhaul and repair of a variety of automotive equipment and related type of machinery, particularly industrial vehicles. Incumbent duties involve same work as Automotive Mechanic II except for the most complex equipment. General instructions are received regarding tasks to be performed, but considerable leeway is permitted in planning the details of each assignment. Does related work as required.
Typical Work Activities:
- Overhauls and rebuilds gasoline motors, transmissions, differentials;
- Carburetors including trucks, power shovels, tractors, air compressors, bulldozers, cement mixers and other related equipment; May maintain heavy automotive and diesel equipment including but not limited to dump trucks, loaders, backhoes and graders;
- Repairs or replaces electrical and electronic ignition systems;
- Mounts snow plows, sanders and auxiliary equipment and connects hydraulic systems to vehicles;
- Makes welding repairs to automotive equipment;
- Repairs or replaces fuel pumps, generators, alternators and starters;
- Tunes engines and sets the timing;
- Attaches snow plows, sanders and other auxiliary equipment;
- Repairs machinery such as clippers, stumpers, patching rollers, etc.
Full Performance Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics:
- Thorough knowledge of standard automotive repair methods and of the terminology and tools of difficult repairs to heavy automotive and other mechanical equipment which may include diesel equipment;
- Familiarity with welding techniques;
- Ability to work from plans and specifications and to follow rough draft sketches and oral instructions;
- Good motor skills, hand-eye coordination;
- Manual dexterity;
- Good physical condition.
- One (1) year of experience as a skilled automotive repairman. (H.S. Diploma or GED required by G.C.S.D.)
NOTE: In the Albany County Department of Public Works the one (1) year of experience as a skilled automotive repairman must have included working with diesel equipment.
NOTE: Must obtain a New York State Motor Vehicle Inspection License for heavy duty trucks within six (6) months of appointment if the position is in the Albany County Department of Public Works.
- Possession of a valid New York State Driver’s License. Juris. Class: Non-Competitive (All Civil Divisions)
ACCS Adopted: Reviewed and readopted by ACCS resolution on 2/10/11
Revised: 07/05, 03/10, 06/11
Dr. Lin A. Severance, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources
Guilderland Central School District
8 School Road P.O. Box 18, Guilderland Center, NY 12085
Selected Candidates will be contacted for interviews.
The Guilderland Central School District is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting the principles of inclusion and diversity as integral to the education of all students. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, creed, handicapping conditions, marital status, veteran status, national origin, gender or sexual orientation in our educational programs or employment.