STARTING DATE: July 1, 2020
REPORTS TO: Superintendent of Schools
SALARY: 12 Month Position; Minimum starting salary $88,351
New York State Certification as a School Administrator/Supervisor; School District Leader; School District Administrator.
New York State Certification as a Physical Education Teacher and/or Health Teacher. (Certification in both Physical Education and Health preferred)
Significant prior administrative experience including:
- Demonstrated ability to function as an instructional leader; skills necessary to select and organize staff for an optimum instructional program.
- Demonstrated ability to provide dynamic leadership in setting high expectations for staff and students.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and work effectively in a shared decision-making system.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implement, coordinate and evaluate a K-12 Health and Physical Education instructional program with high standards for all students.
- Supervise and evaluate health and physical education staff.
- Assist in the scheduling and assignment of health and physical education staff.
- Oversee curriculum development in the areas of health and physical education consistent with the New York State learning standards.
- Provide for the ongoing professional development of health, physical education, and interscholastic athletics staff.
- Oversee the organization and development of a comprehensive intramural program at all levels.
- Organize, administer, supervise and evaluate all aspects of interscholastic athletics including the recruitment, supervision, and evaluation of staff.
- Assure that all staff involved in health, physical education and interscholastic athletics meet the standards of and requirements of the District, the New York State Education Department and other agencies.
- Manage the athletic facilities and equipment to provide maximum utilization,
distribution, and safety of all student-athletes.
- Oversee the work of the athletic trainer, and non-instructional staff assigned to the department.
- Develop the annual budget requirements for the District’s health, physical education, and interscholastic athletics programs.
- Provide for ongoing public relations and communication with staff, parents, students, the media and the general public.
- Provide for district representation in all Section 2, Suburban Council and other league meetings.
The Director of Health, Physical Education and Interscholastic Athletics should demonstrate the ability to develop and maintain formal and informal rapport with staff, students, parents and the community; the ability to use prudent actions to assure the health and safety of all students; sensitivity to the needs of all students; a commitment to working with teachers and staff in a cooperative, participatory environment; skills in assisting staff in improving learning for students; and the ability to create positive relations among teacher, staff, student, and parents.
The Director of Health, Physical Education and Interscholastic Athletics should have good oral and written communication skills; participate and take a leadership role, as appropriate, in professional projects and organizations; engage in ongoing professional development; and encourage high standards for students, teachers, and staff.
The Director of Health, Physical Education and Interscholastic Athletics has direct responsibility for the District’s health, physical education and athletic programs including curriculum and instruction, staff supervision and evaluation, staff selection, athletic facilities management, budget preparation and student, parent and community relations.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit the following by April 20, 2020:
- Director of Health, Physical Education and Interscholastic Athletics application. Download and print the application here
- Copies of transcripts
- Copy of certification
- Letters of reference
Dr. Lin A. Severance, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources
Guilderland Central School District
P.O. Box 18, 8 School Road
Guilderland Center, NY 12085
The Guilderland Central School District does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, creed, disability, marital status, military status, national origin, gender identity or expression or sexual orientation in its educational programs or employment. No person shall be denied employment solely because of any impairment which is unrelated to the ability to engage in activities involved in the position or program for which application has been made. Inquiries concerning this policy should be referred to Title IX Officer, Guilderland Central School District, 8 School Road, PO Box 18 Guilderland Center, NY 12085