On Saturday, October 27, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., the Guilderland Central School District is pleased to once again host the bi-annual Recycling Extravaganza at Farnsworth Middle School. This community-wide event is open to both residents and non-residents of the school district. No certificate of residency is required. All items are dropped off at no charge to attendees.
Your hosts are members of GHS Environmental Club, who will be collecting deposit bottles and cans.
All items received during the event will be reused, repurposed and/or recycled by the following vendors. Please take the time and visit their websites to learn more about the work they do:
- Youth L.I.F.E. Support
- Troy Bike Rescue
- Victory Church
- 15 Love
- JGS Recycling
- County Waste
- American Clothing Company
- Jezreel International
Examples of what can be brought to the school for recycling on Oct. 27:
- Durable medical goods: walkers, wheelchairs, canes and all similar types of items
- Personal care items: unopened toiletries, baby wipes, diapers, sanitary products
- Furniture/small household items: Beds frames (all sizes), futons, sofas, love seats, living room chairs, small area rugs, throw pillows, small kitchen table sets, small dressers and bookshelves, nightstands, end and coffee tables, lamps, humidifiers, toasters, ovens, microwaves, coffee makers, irons/ironing boards, small mixers, vacuums, mops, brooms, fans, space heaters, and more
- Small (usable) household items [for donation]: In good condition only
- Books: In good condition for donation or in any condition for recycling
- Metals: Lawn mowers, patio furniture, swing sets, grills, steel eye-beams, fences, refrigerators and any other metal items (can be working or non-working
- Bikes, trikes, scooters: In working condition or not; all accepted
- Paper: Phone books, office papers and envelopes, catalogs, magazines, newspapers and boxes. Please note that blueprints, carbon papers and egg cartons will not be accepted
- Plastics: Including beverage bottles, plastic bags, and all other types of plastic items
- Textiles and clothing: Clothing, shoes, towels, pocketbooks, belts, fabrics, blankets, comforters, sheets (soft goods)
- Electronics: NO TELEVISIONS or CRT MONITORS. All other electronic items are accepted. Included are: laptops, servers/server racks, monitors, networking equipment, printers/copiers/scanners, cell phones, wires, keyboards, UPSs/battery backups, electronic parts, audio equipment, toner/ink cartridges, household electronics (microwaves, VCRs, lamps, game consoles, etc.) and more
Please note: Items that are wet, moldy, malodorous, toxic or dangerous in any manner cannot be accepted; carpeting, area rugs, tires and garbage are not accepted and will also be rejected.
The collection site for the Recycling Extravaganza will be located in the front parking lot of FMS. For more information on the upcoming event, please contact District Recycling and Conservation Coordinator Renee Panetta at (518) 861-5246, ext. 338; or (518) 423-6708.