Throughout the next two weeks, five Guilderland Schools will serve as collection sites for Project: Cameron’s Story.
Project: Cameron’s Story is a not-for-profit organization that collects new children’s books for families of babies in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at more than a dozen hospitals throughout New York.
Farnsworth Middle School, Altamont Elementary, Guilderland Elementary, Pine Bush Elementary, and Guilderland High School will collect book donations from Feb. 4-15, 2019. This is the fifth year Guilderland schools have participated and so far 2,700 books have been collected thanks to the help of the community. Last year, the district donated a total of 730 books and this year the goal is to reach 1,000 books!
The goal of Project: Cameron’s Story is to support the bonding of parents with their premature babies in the NICU through the use of children’s literature and storytelling. To learn more about the organization, please visit the Project: Cameron’s Story Facebook page or the organization’s official website.
Several Guilderland teachers have been touched by this program including Jamie Mullins, a social studies teacher at FMS. Regionally, donations will benefit babies at Albany Medical Center, St. Peter’s Hospital, Crouse Hospital, Stony Brook University Hospital, Golisano Children’s Hospital, UHS Wilson Medical Center, and Glens Falls Special Care Unit.
If you would like to donate, there are two ways to participate:
- Bring a new book anytime now through Feb. 15 to FMS, AES, GES, PBES, or GHS.
- If you would like to donate a book, but don’t have time to go to the store, order a book through Scholastic. Order forms may be done directly online or be sent in to the school. Please find an order form here.
Guidelines For Books:
- New books only because books will be donated to babies in a sterile environment.
- Due to the various religious beliefs of families, they have asked to avoid donating books that are overtly religious in nature.
- It is helpful if the books are of medium to large size, with lots of pictures and story line to give parents an opportunity to engage in a 10-15 minute period of reading.
Suggested titles include: Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, Stellaluna, Love You Forever, Where the Wild Things Are, The Poky Little Puppy, The Little Engine That Could.
- Farnsworth Middle Schools students can return completed orders and/or bring books to any house office as well as at reception.
- Altamont Elementary students can drop order forms off in the main office and books to Mrs. Normile’s room.
- Guilderland Elementary students can drop order forms and books to Mrs. Hanson’s room.
- Guilderland High School students can drop off to the West Office.
- Pine Bush elementary students can drop off order forms and books to Mrs. McLean.
For more information on the collection program, please contact Jamie Mullins.