8 paid hours per day
Apply by: September 30, 2019
Start date: As soon as possible
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class does unskilled manual work in performing a variety of tasks connected with the operation, maintenance and cleaning of buildings and facilities maintenance. Miscellaneous minor repair work may be performed, but it does not require the same degree of proficiency and ability as that called for in the semi-skilled position of Building Maintenance Mechanic. General directions are received in connection with each assignment and supervision is received while work is in process and upon completion. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Assists in a variety of tasks in regard to the upkeep of buildings, grounds and equipment;
- Takes part in painting of rooms and hallways;
- Performs minor carpentry work such as repairs to desks, tables and office furniture;
- Prepares surfaces for painting by scraping, sanding, washing and applying paint and varnish remover;
- Assists in the maintenance of grounds by mowing lawns, and athletic fields, trimming shrubbery and taking care of flower beds;
- Replaces defective fuses and light bulbs;
- Helps to clean and maintain tools, machinery and other mechanical equipment;
- Assists in removing snow and ice from walks, parking lots and pathways;
- Repairs and replaces switch outlets, electric lights, tubes and alarm lights;
- Assists in repair and adjustment of laundry equipment, snow removal equipment, lawn mowers and other equipment;
- Cleans filter traps and exhaust systems;
- Repairs and greases wheelchairs, carts and some machinery as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Working knowledge of practices tools and materials used in the cleaning, maintenance and repair of buildings and equipment;
- Ability to follow simple oral and written directions;
- Willingness to perform routine manual work;
- Manual dexterity;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
QUALIFICATIONS: One (1) year of experience in ordinary manual labor. Must have high school diploma or GED
Hourly range: $13.84-$14.70 based on experience. Health Care Benefits, SL & PL included.
Dr. Lin A. Severance, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources, Guilderland Central School District, 8 School Road P.O. Box 18, Guilderland Center, NY 12085
Selected Candidates will be contacted for interviews.
The Guilderland Central School District is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting the principles of inclusion and diversity as integral to the education of all students. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, creed, handicapping conditions, marital status, veteran status, national origin, gender or sexual orientation in our educational programs or employment.