POSITION: Maintenance Mechanic
- Anticipated start date: ASAP
- Application Deadline: September 6, 2019
- Salary: As outlined in the GSSA contract.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
The Maintenance Mechanic works under the supervision of the Director of Facilities performs skilled and semi-skilled work in the maintenance and construction field .at all district facilities and/or grounds.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
This is skilled to semi-skilled work involving responsibility for independently performing a variety of mechanical and other building maintenance tasks or for serving as a helper to a journeyman tradesman. In either case, although a working knowledge of one or more trades is necessary, a maintenance mechanic does not utilize the more skilled journeyman techniques for any considerable portion of his time. In addition, the work may involve the part-time operation of a truck, automobile or other automotive equipment. General instructions are received and work is performed under immediate or general supervision, depending upon the nature of the task.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES
- Performs skilled to semi-skilled work in masonry, carpentry, electrical or painting operations;
- Helps install and repair wiring systems and electric fixtures and equipment;
- Repairs windows, doors, floors, walls and other parts of buildings;
- Removes and replaces furniture;
- Does interior and exterior painting where quantity rather than fine quality of work performed is the principal object;
- Helps to install and repair general plumbing equipment, such as sinks, toilets and baths;
- Assists in cleaning and repairing boilers, pumps, heaters, pipe lines, valves and traps;
- Mixes plaster and concrete and assists in laying brick, plastering walls, finishing concrete work, etc.;
- Operates trucks, automobiles, air compressors, and other motorized equipment;
- Takes part in general grounds maintenance activities;
- Serves as general handyman performing a variety of semi-skilled duties;
- Installs shelves and storage cabinets;
- May participate in estimating time and materials required for assigned tasks;
- Keeps simple records;
- Cleans, checks, repairs and lubricates motors, chairs, etc.;
- On occasion, may be required to transport materials and equipment to other job locations;
- May assist other trades and outside contractors in installation and construction as required;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Working knowledge of one or more of the standard trades, mechanical aptitude, industry;
- Good physical condition;
- Electrical experience preferred.
- Two (2) years of experience in either general building construction or maintenance work in one or more of the standard trades, such as carpentry, plumbing, electrical, or grounds keeping.
Dr. Lin A. Severance, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources
Guilderland Central School District
8 School Road P.O. Box 18
Guilderland Center, NY 12085
Selected Candidates will be contacted for interviews.
The Guilderland Central School District is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting the principles of inclusion and diversity as integral to the education of all students. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, creed, handicapping conditions, marital status, veteran status, national origin, gender or sexual orientation in our educational programs or employment.