The GCSD athletic program is founded on the principle that the playing field is an extension of the classroom and the athletic experience contributes to the growth of mind and body.
The cornerstones of the Dutchmen tradition were laid generations ago by some of the community’s most respected student-athletes, many of whom continue to be involved in the athletic program as supportive parents and sports boosters. While the names change from year to year, the principles they embodied remain the same–dedication and desire, cooperation and compassion, and the importance of working collectively toward a common goal. These are just some of the ideas that echo across the Guilderland playing fields and gymnasiums.
Each week, we highlight two student-athletes (Modified, Mod 9, Frosh, JV or Varsity level) for athletic accomplishments. See the weekly Dutchmen of the Week (DOW) honorees.
Spring Sports Update: April 1, 2021
Spring Sports Start Dates
Sunday, April 25th- Spring Varsity, JV and Frosh sports can begin as early as April 25th. These sports include:
- Varsity, JV & Frosh Baseball
- Varsity, JV & Frosh Softball
- Varsity, JV Boys Tennis
- Varsity Boys and Girls Track & Field
- Varsity, JV Boys Lacrosse
- Varsity, JV Girls Lacrosse
Monday, May 3rd- Spring Modified sports and Unified Basketball can begin. These sports include:
- Modified Baseball
- Modified Softball
- Modified Boys and Girls Track & Field
- Modified Boys Lacrosse
- Modified Girls Lacrosse
- Unified Basketball
Forms for Athletic Participation in Spring Sports
In order to be able to participate in Spring sports, student-athletes must:
- Fill out the Spring Sports Signup Form.
- Complete the required athletic participation forms.
- Once the health forms are complete, they can be dropped off to the nurses at their office or electronically to the following nurses:
- Please note that new health forms must be completed and submitted before each sports season. If a student participated in a winter sport or Fall 2 sport this past season, they must submit new health forms for the Spring. Health History Forms cannot be completed/submitted earlier than 30 days before the start of the season.
- In addition to health forms, our school nurses must have a recent physical on file. Physicals in the 18-19, 19-20 or 20-21 school year are valid physicals for athletic participation.
- Complete the GCSD COVID-19 Athletic Participation Waiver. Student-athletes and parents/guardians are required to complete this form and return it to their coach on day 1.
GCSD Fall 2 Sports Plan
Please review the GCSD Return to Fall 2 Sports Plan to find information about COVID-19 protocols and procedures, guidance, reminders, sport-specific information and more.
Fall 2/Spring Season Spectators
Spectator guidelines have been created by working closely with the New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA), Section 2, and the Suburban Council. The guidelines also follow guidance from the New York State Department of Health.
- At this time, spectators are not allowed to attend indoor athletic events at Guilderland. This includes varsity, JV and modified volleyball and unified bowling. We plan to revisit this soon. An exception will be made for “senior night” ceremonies. Parents and guardians will be allowed to attend the “senior night” ceremony and game.
- At this time, only 2 spectators per student-athlete are allowed at all outdoor athletic events. This includes varsity, JV, Frosh and modified football and game day cheer in the Fall 2 season.
- All spectators must have a Suburban Council badge to enter an athletic contest. These badges are labeled by sport and level.
- All spectators for Guilderland home contests must complete our health screening before being allowed into the game. Event chaperones will have a hard copy screening available for spectators at the entrance table.
- As per NYSDOH guidance, spectators must maintain six feet of physical distance between individuals and/or family/household units at all times and all spectators must wear face coverings when they are in common areas and situations where six feet of distancing is not able to be maintained, so as long as they are over the age of two and medically able to tolerate such covering.
All other Suburban Council schools will have very similar guidelines; however, it is best to check each school’s homepage on Schedule Galaxy for exact guidelines.
Where to watch contests online
- April 1: Spring HS athletes can begin submitting their Health History forms to their school nurse
- April 4: Spring Modified athletes can begin submitting their Health History forms to their school nurse
- April 25: First day of HS Spring sports (except for Unified Basketball)
- May 3: First day of Modified Spring sports and Unified Basketball
- June 16: Last day of Spring sports
Students interested in playing school sports are required to sign-up in the school health office. Students will be given a sports packet to be completed and returned (in person, by mail, or by fax (High School) 518-861-5151 or (Middle School) 518-456-3747) before being cleared by the nursing staff prior to participating in tryouts for a particular sport. Additional sports packets will be available in the health office.
Please Note: The health history form must be completed no earlier than 30 days before the start of the sports season.
The sports sign-up packet includes three forms:
- Athletic Form which includes emergency contact information
- Required NYS School Health Examination Form
- Health History Update
This form cannot be completed earlier than 30 days prior to the start of the season.
You can find the forms here and download and print.
All three forms must be handed in before your try-out/practice starts. Students who do not follow this process and have not been approved by the health office will be considered ineligible for sports until they are cleared by nursing staff or our athletic trainer.
- 7th Grade & APP Students- Email completed forms to Beth Ford- fordb@
- 8-12th Grade Students- Email completed forms to Amanda Vogel- firstname.lastname@example.org
or to Andrea Vink- vinka@ guilderlandschools.net