Constructed in 1955 with additions and upgrades in 1958, 1991, and 2009, Guilderland Elementary School is home to more than 500 students in kindergarten through fifth grade. In addition to the principal, there are 51 classroom and special area teachers, including a full-time social worker, a part-time English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher, a part-time foreign language teacher and a part-time school psychologist. There is also numerous support staff which includes teaching assistants, aides and monitors, cafeteria workers, custodians and office staff.
Results on the English/language arts, mathematics, science and social studies assessments indicate that Guilderland students consistently score well above the New York State average. View Guilderland’s most recent NYS school report card.
Other features of the Guilderland Elementary School program include:
- A learning community which supports the growth of the whole child—social, academic and physical.
- A child-centered, developmentally appropriate approach in all curriculum areas.
- A school culture that encourages respect as an essential characteristic of the school community.
- An active building cabinet exemplifying the shared decision making process.
- Teacher leaders in language arts, mathematics, science and social studies work closely with the staff and administration.
- An emphasis on professional development as a vital component of our educational program.
- An active and supportive PTA and community.
- Parents often volunteer and feel comfortable visiting classrooms
- School-wide social worker services which offer opportunities for Banana Splits, friendship groups, push-in programs and community building to prevent bullying.
- A strong commitment to art, physical education, music, drama and other enrichment activities.