Please see the message regarding athletics from GCSD Athletic Director, David Austin:
Dear GCSD Families,
We understand that student-athletes, families and coaches have been eagerly anticipating winter sports sign-ups and the start of the winter sports season. NYSPHSAA, Section 2 and the Suburban Council, have worked tirelessly to put together a winter season with our student-athletes and coaches’ health and safety as the top priority. We know how much athletics means to our students. Amidst these uncertain times and the increasing COVID-19 infection rate, we are committed to finding a way to offer our students opportunities to participate in athletics, if permitted by governing bodies, if feasible, and if safe.
GCSD Coaches will be reaching out to the athletes (and parents/guardians) who complete the Sign-up form for Winter Sports. We are also hosting a virtual Winter Sports Information Night in mid-December to provide more information and answer any questions. Be on the lookout for more details about the virtual event.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions or need me to connect you to one of our coaches. I look forward to watching our athletes compete this winter. Thank you and Go Dutchmen!
Director of Health, PE & Athletics
Low- to Moderate-Risk Winter Sports to Begin on Monday, Dec. 14
Section 2 announced that low- to moderate-risk winter sports (Boys Swimming & Diving, Gymnastics, Boys & Girls XC Skiing, Bowling, Boys & Girls Indoor Track) can begin on Monday, December 14.
Boys & Girls Indoor Track is still pending approval by Guilderland CSD. A decision expected in early December.
High-Risk Winter Sports to LIkely Begin on Monday, Jan. 4
NYSPHSAA has announced that high-risk winter sports (Boys & Girls Basketball, Wrestling, Ice Hockey, Competitive Cheerleading) can begin on Monday, January 4th, pending authorization from state officials and from Guilderland CSD.
It’s important to note that as of today, winter high-risk sports have not been authorized by state officials or by Guilderland CSD. A decision is to be made in December.
2020-21 Winter Sports Sign-ups
Any student in grades 7-12 interested in participating in winter sports needs to:
1. Complete the Winter Sports Signup form.
Completing this form provides the athletics office a list of interested athletes and contact information for each sport that we offer this winter. Coaches will send sport-specific information, including information on tryouts, to athletes and parents/guardians on the sign-up list. This form can be found at the following link: Winter Sports Signup Form
2. Complete the sports registration process and be approved by the school nurse.
In order to register, athletes must complete the Sports Athletic forms listed below and return them to their school nurse either in person or via email.
- Athletic Form that includes emergency contact information
- Health History Update
- Low- to moderate-risk sports (Boys Swimming & Diving, Gymnastics, Boys & Girls XC Skiing, Bowling, Boys & Girls Indoor Track) cannot submit Health History Update until November 15.
- High-risk sports (Boys & Girls Basketball, Wrestling, Ice Hockey, Competitive Cheerleading) cannot submit Health History Update until December 5.
- Required NYS School Health Examination Form
- Find the Sports Registration Forms
- Students in grades 7 can email completed forms to Beth Ford at email@example.com
- Students in grades 8-12 can email completed forms to Amanda Vogel at firstname.lastname@example.org or to Andrea Vink at email@example.com
3. Must have a valid physical within the last calendar year
- December 2019 is acceptable for low- to moderate-risk sports.
- January 2020 is acceptable for high-risk sports.
- Wednesday, December 2nd- 4:30-6:30 in HS Nurse’s Office (No Appointments) for 8th-12th graders
- Thursday, December 3rd- 12:30-1:30 in FMS Nurse’s Office for 7th graders. Please contact Beth Ford if interested (firstname.lastname@example.org)