Welcome Letter | FMS Phased Re-opening In-Person Orientation Schedule | FMS Open House Schedule | 5th Grade In-Person Orientation Schedule | 6th Grade In-Person Orientation Schedule | Remote Learning Schedule for Sept. 8-11 | 5th & 6th Grade Transition Session Recordings | Quick Guide to FMS
Dear 5th, 6th & 7th Grade Families,
Seven months ago I don’t think any of us would have predicted what we have been dealing with since March. Now, together we start the next “new” aspect of our lives. Even though it may look a little different this year, we must remember this is only temporary. This “new” normal will pass. Along the way, I am confident, as a school community we will persevere, remain resilient and continue to provide all our students with an excellent education. We can’t wait to have you back in school.
At Farnsworth Middle School, we are ready and excited to welcome our 5th through 7th-grade students and families to the 2020-2021 school year. I want to thank and commend all our stakeholders for their hard work these past four months creating a re-entry plan that ensures the safety and health of all of us. I look forward to what this school year will bring and what we will learn together.
Farnsworth Middle School is a special place. We are a school focused on the whole child. A school that takes the time to know students well and ensures they are being challenged and their individual needs are being met. We are a school with the most dedicated and talented educators who truly care about children.
- Student placement information is now available on the eSchoolData Parent Portal.
- Our 5th & 6th-grade virtual transition events and building tours provided an opportunity for many of you to learn about FMS.
- Our student handbook will be available on our district website. This handbook details our expectations as a school community. This resource is intended to clarify and provide answers to your questions. We encourage you to spend time reviewing it as a family. Unfortunately, we will not be printing handbooks to distribute this year.
- We also encourage you to sign up for FMS SchoolMessenger so you can receive important communications during the year. This can be done by following the directions on our district website. If you do not have access to the internet, please contact your House Office Secretary for assistance. Please note if you are a parent or guardian of a student and have been receiving news through FMS SchoolMessenger you are not required to do anything. If you are a parent or guardian of a 5th-grade student, you will need to change your selected school in order to receive our FMS SchoolMessenger this year. Directions about SchoolMessenger can be found on the District website.
- Our district’s phased re-opening begins on Tuesday, September 8th. All students will be receiving remote instruction for approximately 2.5 hours every day that week. In addition, we have planned an orientation schedule to welcome our 5th and 6th-grade students to FMS. Our FMS orientation schedule is included below.
We look forward to another meaningful year at Farnsworth Middle School helping all students work towards their full potential. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions as we start our year together. I look forward to meeting all of you. I wish everyone a successful and rewarding school year.
Michael S. Laster
Farnsworth Middle School Principal
FMS Open House Schedule
In addition to our 5th and 6th-grade orientation program schedule below, we will offer parents an opportunity to virtually meet your child’s teachers. Our Virtual Open House programs this year have been delayed two weeks, given our delayed opening of school. As we get closer to these dates, a meeting link and details will be shared. This is a chance to meet your child’s teachers and obtain information about what they will be learning. Our Open House schedule is as follows:
- 5th grade: Tuesday, September 29, 2020, at 6:00 p.m.
- 6th grade: Tuesday, October 6, 2020, at 6:00 p.m.
- 7th grade: Thursday, October 15, 2020, at 6:00 p.m.
FMS Phased Re-opening In-Person Orientation Schedule 2020-2021
|September 7||September 8||September 9||September 10||September 11|
School is Closed
|All FMS Students Remote with the exception of the following:|
|Grade 5 Orientation
(AES and LES)
|Grade 5 Orientation (GES)||Grade 5 Orientation (PBES)||Grade 5 Orientation (WES)|
Remote Learning Activities & Focus Areas
In addition to in-person orientation sessions for grades 5 and 6 scheduled, all teachers will schedule Google Meets to:
5th Grade In-Person Orientation Schedule
|9:00 – 9:10 a.m.||Buses arrive -5th Grade teachers & staff meet students at buses to teach them how to enter FMS with masks on, practicing social distancing|
|9:10 – 9:20 a.m.||Homeroom|
|9:20 – 10:40 a.m.||5th grade teacher time|
|10:40 – 11:15 a.m.||FMS Tour ending back at your 5th-grade classroom|
|11:15 – 11:30 a.m.||Buses depart -5th Grade teachers & staff walk students to buses to teach them how to leave FMS with masks on, practicing social distancing|
6th Grade In-Person Orientation Schedule
|9:00 – 9:10 a.m.||Buses arrive -6th Grade teachers & staff meet students at buses to teach them how to enter FMS with masks on, practicing social distancing|
|9:10 – 9:20 a.m.||Homeroom|
|9:20 – 10:40 a.m.||FMS Tour ending back at your 6th-grade classroom|
|10:40 – 11:15 a.m.||6th grade teacher time|
|11:15 – 11:30 a.m.||Buses depart -6th Grade teachers & staff walk students to buses to teach them how to leave FMS with masks on, practicing social distancing|
Remote Learning Schedule for Sept. 8 – 11, 2020
|9:00 – 9:10 a.m.||Google Meet with remote team teachers|
|9:10 – 9:20 a.m.||Google Meet with Art/FACS/Tech remote teachers|
|9:20 – 10:40 a.m.||Google Meet with PE/Music/Health remote teachers|
|10:40 – 11:15 a.m.||Google Meet with remote team teachers, House Principal, School Counselor & Social Worker|
|11:15 – 11:30 a.m.||Google Meet with remote team teachers|
5th & 6th Grade Transition Session Recordings
View the recording of the 6th-grade transition session
View the recording of the 5th-grade transition session
Quick Guide to FMS
Take a look at the Quick Guide to FMS page to get brief information about FMS including House contact information, absences, start and end times and more.