The Guilderland School District is proud of the award-winning music department composed of 21 music teachers with 55 performing ensembles.
Over 2000 students regularly perform within our school and community. Join us at an event and listen to excellence in music education!
We believe every student needs and deserves a high-quality music education. We strive to inspire each child to become a creative and innovative thinker through this comprehensive program. Our primary focus on reaching high levels of achievement and competence in the arts is to provide students with the essential skills that are critical to their success in school, life and work.
The purpose of the Guilderland music program is to advance the cognitive and cultural development of every student through active participation in music. Sequential class activities:
- Promote critical thinking and listening skills.
- Foster creativity through musical improvisation and composition.
- Advance innate musical aptitude through class and public performances.
- Encourage an understanding of world cultures.
- Aid neural development of the brain benefiting literacy, spatial reasoning, verbal memory and problem solving skills.
- Allow for a shared community experience by teaching music literacy (pattern structure recognition).
- Learn more about the K-5 Music curriculum.
- Learn more about the 6-8 Music curriculum.
- Learn more about Music courses at the high school.
We invite you to visit a classroom, attend a rehearsal or concert and witness excellence at every developmental stage of music education
Feel free to contact any music teacher or Robert Winans, District Music Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.