The message below was emailed to GCSD families on August 6, 2020
Dear GCSD Families,
Last week, we submitted our return to school plans for the 2020-21 school year. These plans are also posted on the district website and can be translated into ten different languages using the Google Translate feature on our site’s right-hand side. We understand that there is a great deal of information to take in, and it can be overwhelming. To help, we are working on a comprehensive FAQ page for our website and will release it next week.
While no decision on the reopening of schools in our region has been announced by Governor Cuomo yet, we designed our reopening plan on a hybrid model of in-person and remote learning. All instruction aligns with New York State Learning Standards.
Breakdown of the teaching and learning plan for the 2020-21 school year:
- Students in grades K-4 will have daily in-person instruction at their home elementary school.
- Students in grades 5-6 will have daily in-person instruction operating on an 8-period schedule at Farnsworth Middle School.
- Students in grade 7 will be on a hybrid-learning model where on alternate days, half of the students will be in-person at Farnsworth Middle School while the other half is learning remotely.
- Students in grades 8-12 will be on a hybrid-learning model on a four-day block schedule. Half of the students will attend in-person at Guilderland High School every other day while the other half is learning remotely. (Students in grade 8 will be grouped in a different part of GHS from students in grades 9-12.)
Breakdown of services for special education:
- Students in grades K-6 will receive special education services as outlined in their individualized education plans (IEPs) via daily in-person instruction.
- Students in grades 7-12 will follow the same hybrid model as their general education peers, supported by the special education faculty case manager.
- Related services may be provided in person or remotely.
- All K-12 students who attend the district’s self-contained special education programs will receive daily in-person instruction.
- Grades K-2: 7:30 a.m. – 1:45 p.m.
- Grades 3-4: 8:15 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Grades 5-6: 9:00 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
- Grade 7: 10:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Half of the class “A day” other half “B day” every other day schedule.
- Grades 8-12: 10:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Half of the class “A day” other half “B day” every other day schedule.
Remote-only selection and district transportation opt-out
As a reminder, families can choose a remote-only learning option for their child/ren. We have asked families if they will select remote-only learning for their child/ren or opt-out of district transportation. Selections need to be made in the eSchoolData Parent Portal by Monday, August 10. If you do not intend to select either of those options, then no action is needed. More information and guidance on how to make those selections can be found here.
As mentioned, these plans are designed with flexibility in mind and subject to change because of the rapidly evolving environment. Thank you for your patience and partnership as we work together to make this a safe and enriching learning experience for our students.
The Guilderland Central School District