Please see the message regarding athletics from GCSD Athletic Director, David Austin:
Dear GCSD Families,
As the Director of Health, PE & Athletics here at Guilderland Central School District, I am thrilled that our student athletes will have the opportunity to get back on the playing field this fall as the GCSD will allow low and moderate risk fall sports to practice and play games, beginning September 21, 2020, for students in grades 7-12. These sports include:
- Boys and girls cross country
- Field hockey
- Boys and girls soccer
- Girls Swimming and diving
- Girls tennis
The New York State Public High School Athletic Association announced last week that fall high-risk sports have been moved to March 1, 2021. These sports include football, boys and girls volleyball and game day cheer.
As we embark on a fall season like no other, coaches, athletes and parents will need to follow strict guidelines for the health and safety of everyone involved. Some of what we will be doing differently includes:
- Practice and game schedules will look different.
- Athletes and spectators will be required to complete screenings before each practice and game.
- We will physically distance ourselves when we can and when we can’t, we will wear masks including during competition.
- Spectators will be limited to two per athlete.
Students interested in participating in fall sports must complete the sports registration process and be approved by the school nurse. In order to register, athletes must complete the following athletic forms found here on our website:
- Athletic Form that includes emergency contact information.
- Health History Update (cannot be completed sooner than 30 days prior to the start of the season).
- Required NYS School Health Examination form. For the Fall 2020 season, a valid physical in the 18-19 school year or the 19-20 school year are acceptable.
The forms can be dropped off at school or emailed to one of our nurses.
- For students in grades 7 and 8, email completed forms to Beth Ford at email@example.com.
- For students in grades 9-12, email completed forms to Amanda Vogel at firstname.lastname@example.org or to Andrea Vink at email@example.com.
I’m sure many of you have questions and are looking for more information on the upcoming fall season. I will be hosting a Fall Sports Information Night on Thursday, September 17th at 6:00 PM. This will be hosted virtually and can be accessed at the following link: https://meet.google.com/qsx-kzpc-whz?hs=122&authuser=0
Please note that the Google Meet is limited to the first 250 guests who sign in. The meet will be recorded and posted on our athletics website for anyone that is unable to attend the meeting.
Also, if they haven’t done so already, coaches will be reaching out to the athletes (and parents) who are registered for fall sports to provide you with details for next week. In the meantime, do not hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions or if you’d like me to put you in touch with one of our coaches.
I look forward to watching our athletes get back to the playing field this fall. Thank you and Go Dutchmen!
Director of Health, PE & Athletics
518-861-8591 (extension 4000)