- Learn and understand the rules of your sport. Play hard, play to win, but play fairly within the rules.
- Do not allow your temper to distract you from the fundamentals of good sportsmanship. Maintain self-control.
- Respect your opponent. Never taunt. Congratulate him or her at game’s end. Acknowledge good play.
- Respect the integrity and judgment of officials. Never question the decision of an official.
- Be an example for your school, teammates and opponents.
A player who is disqualified from a contest for unsportsmanlike behavior by an official is prohibited from playing in the next regularly scheduled contest, as per NYSPHSAA rules.
A player who strikes or otherwise physically assaults an official will be subject to an extended suspension from athletic competition. A physical confrontation with an official is any incident which a player either strikes, bumps, or otherwise physically intimidates an official prior to, during or after a contest or game.