Ms. Kim Harmon, School Librarian
During school hours 7:50 a.m. – 2:10 p.m.
The mission of the Guilderland Central School District Library Media Program is to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information.
To accomplish this, we will;
- provide instruction to foster competence and stimulate interest in reading, viewing, and using information and ideas, and
- work with other educators to design learning strategies to meet the needs of individual students.
As a flexible schedule library (open 7:50 a.m. – 2:10 p.m.), our mission is to encourage our school students and staff to enjoy a variety of literature, access information effectively and become engaged lifelong learners.
Our school has an automated library with a full-time librarian. The librarian’s role is to ensure that students become independent library users who enjoy literature and are able to access, evaluate and use information effectively. Students in kindergarten through fifth grade participate in our library media program once per week during a thirty-minute class with their teachers. Please visit the Library Program Overview link for more information.
- Kindergarteners may have 2 items checked out at a time.
- First through fifth graders may have up to 5 items checked out at a time.
- Additionally, students may check out up to 5 eBooks or audiobooks through BOCES Sora.
Circulation time period
- Books and read alongs (book with a CD kits) may be checked out for 2 weeks.
- Magazines may be checked out for 1 week.
- Items may be renewed in the library.
- Overdue materials must be returned before new materials can be checked out. We do not charge overdue fees.
We have discussed taking good care of library books when reading them and when carrying them between school and home. Please keep them safe from food, water bottles, juice boxes, etc. especially in backpacks. To help protect library books, we have provided one plastic bag to each kindergarten and first grade student to transport library books throughout the year. Your child’s student ID is on the bag to make it easy for you to check your child’s library account and list of items out.
To see items checked out:
- Click the Library Catalog link (in the Resources list)
- Click Login button
- Enter User Name (student ID) and Password (last 2 digits of student ID)
- Click Login button below Password box
- Click My Info tab to see a list of books currently checked out, holds and recommendations.
To access usernames and passwords:
- Log in with student ID
- Click the Home tab to see a list of usernames and passwords that may be needed to access school databases at home (See your child’s library grade level patron page for age-appropriate databases.)
To put books on hold:
- Log in with student ID
- Click the Search tab to look for books
- If a desired book is checked out (0 of 1 available), click on that book’s title and then click on Hold button.
Lost or damaged books
Students should take good care of library materials when using them and carrying them in their backpacks. Books should be kept away from food, drink and pets. Please be aware: younger siblings need supervision and should never write or draw in library books. It is helpful when students establish a safe place to store library materials when at home away from young siblings and pets. Accidents do happen, however, and damaged or lost books must be paid for before new materials can be checked out. This policy should in no way deter library use, but rather help students recognize their responsibility and demonstrate respect for shared resources.