The following is a message from Superintendent Dr. Marie Wiles:
Dear Parents/Guardians, Staff, and Community:
I wanted to let you know that the Guilderland Central School District has been notified that a household connected to Lynnwood Elementary School may have been exposed to COVID-19.
At this time, no one in the family is showing signs of illness, but they are voluntarily quarantined out of an abundance of caution.
The district has been in contact with local health department officials and there is no need for additional prevention at this time. That said, we will be distributing disinfectant wipes to all classrooms and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces in school buildings and buses in an effort to prevent the spread of illness.
Exposure to COVID-19 can occur from any person-to-person contact. For now, the most important thing you can do to protect yourself and your family is to follow the standard preventive practices for influenza, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Heavily soiled hands should be washed.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
We will continue to monitor this situation and will provide updates as necessary and appropriate. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we continue to respond to this evolving concern.
Please feel free to contact my office if you have any questions.
Dr. Marie Wiles