The Guilderland Central School District is offering free breakfast and lunch this summer to students in need. Meals will be available for delivery or pickup from July 2, 2020, through September 3, 2020. Learn more about the GCSD summer meal program.
Summer is a great time to continue learning. Below are several resources to stay engaged and keep that brain matter working.
- GCSD Summer Reading Lists for grades K-12
- GCSD Summer Math Zone for K-5
- GCSD Home Learning Site. Established during the school closure this site contains a variety of online, age-appropriate resources for self-guided learning.
- Guilderland Library Summer Reading Program 2020
- Guilderland: Camp Invention Connect, August 10-14. Nationally-acclaimed program that has moved to a virtual model, but offers hands-on activities with limited screen time.
- Capital Region BOCES Summer Adventure Website. Eight weeks of activities shared to your email. Visit the Summer Adventure website.
You can find more events posted on the GCSD Community Page where educational and recreational opportunities are shared and posted by the district for informational purposes only.
Find more information about childcare options and the CARES Child Care Scholarship for income-eligible essential workers.
As the district continues to plan for the return of school in the fall, the priority is to keep our students and families and staff safe while maintaining high-quality education for our students. There has been a lot of work underway involving members of the school community–GCSD district administration and staff, parents, students, community partners and local health officials.
We will use this page to provide regular updates. Below you will find a hub of information and updates as more details become available and plans evolve.
Guidance from the Governor
On Friday, August 7, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that based on the metrics he had previously outlined, all schools across New York will be allowed to reopen in all regions of the state in the fall, barring any spikes in COVID-19 infection rates or any concerning metrics.
The health and safety of our students, our staff and their families is our top priority. We want students and employees to feel comfortable and safe returning to school campuses. We will continue to be in an environment of change and as a result, we will continue to modify, update, and improve this reopening plan as needed throughout the year.
Guilderland Central School District Reopening FAQs
The district has received hundreds of questions from families since the beginning of July. Below you will find answers to what we know at this time. Please remember, our plans continue to evolve and anything is subject to change. Read the GCSD Reopening FAQs.
- August 11: District Update: Reopening FAQs Released and Virtua Panel Discussions for the Community
- August 7: Governor Andrew Cuomo announces that schools across NYS are permitted to open this fall
- August 6: District Update: Reopening Plans Posted and Selections Needed
- August 3: District notification to parents/guardians to make elections for remote-only learning and/or opting out of district transportation by August 10
- July 31: Guilderland Central School District Reopening Plan Released
- July 30: Superintendent’s Letter: Reopening Plans to be Posted and Important Info Needed
- July 23: Superintendent’s Letter: Preliminary plans and livestream panel discussion
- July 23: Preliminary Return to School Plan shared
- July 16: Superintendent’s Letter: Family reopening survey and communication from the district
- July 16: NYSED Reopening Guidance released
- July 13: Superintendent’s Letter: Reopening planning update and survey
- July 13: NYSED Guidance Framework released
- July 13: NYSDOH Interim Guidance for in-person instruction released
Families will receive reopening updates via email, text message and/or phone call (when needed) through our email communication tool, School Messenger. Please make sure to log into your School Messenger account to confirm your preferences on how to be contacted.
We recommend families continue to check this webpage and your email throughout the summer for information.
- May-June: Solicit feedback about the remote learning experience during the 2019-20 closure due to COVID-19. See survey results from the remote learning survey
- May-August: GCSD Reopening Steering Committee and Subcommittees meet regularly
- July 8-9: Focus group sessions about the remote learning experience
- July 13-17: Reopening survey for families.
- July 13-16: New York State guidance issued to school districts
- July 23: Preliminary reopening plans shared
- July 28: Livestream panel discussion on reopening of GCSD schools at 7:00 P.M. Watch the recording and view the slides from the July 28 panel discussion.
- July 31: Per Governor Cuomo, school district reopening plans are due to the state and posted on the district website. View GCSD Reopening Plan.
- August 3-10: Families elect intention for remote only-learning and use of transportation in the eSchoolData Parent Portal.
- August 7: Governor Cuomo decides schools in New York State will reopen. Read more.
- August 18 – 20: Virtual Reopening Panel Discussions for the community.
GCSD Reopening Steering Committee
The district established a Reopening Steering Committee, a 40-person panel made up of GCSD administrators, teachers, staff and community members to create a comprehensive reopening plan for the 2020-21 school year. Given the nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, this will be a fluid process, with direction based on the latest available information and guidance from local and state governing bodies.
The committee has been meeting weekly since mid-May. Updates from the meetings will be shared every Thursday throughout the summer, starting July 16.
GCSD Reopening Subcommittees
Chair: Clifford Nooney, Director of Facilities, GCSD
Chair: Demian Singleton, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum & Instruction
Health & Safety
Chair: Tim Murphy, Safety Specialist
Chair: Lisa Knowles, Director of Pupil Services
Chair: Regan Johnson, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources
Extra-Curricular Activities, Athletics and Special Areas
Co-Chair: Bob Winans, District Music Administrator
Co-Chair: Dave Austin, Director of Athletics
Reference information and resources that were shared between during the 2019-2020 school year closure due to the COVID-19 pandemic.