The health and safety of our students, our staff and their families is our top priority. We are in an environment of change and as a result, we will continue to modify, update the reopening plan as needed throughout the year.
- Read the Guilderland Central School District Reopening Plan
- Read the GCSD Reopening FAQs
- Return to School/COVID-19 Resources
A page to share COVID-19 updates and resources for the 2020-21 school year as the circumstances warrant.
- Nov. 17: Update to School Schedule: Nov. 24 a Half Day
- Nov. 10: COVID-19 Tests and NYS Travel Updates
- Nov. 9: January 2021 Regents Exams Canceled
- Nov. 5: Selections for the Second Semester Due by Nov. 20
- Oct. 19: Symptoms of COVID-19 and Protocols for Returning to School
- Oct. 16: School Absences for Grades K-6
- Oct. 13: Free Meals for Students Through June 30, 2021
- Sept. 10: Superintendent’s Letter: Daily Health Screening Survey
- Sept. 9: Free Meals for Students Through December 31
- Sept. 8: Technology Support for Parents and Students
- Sept. 3: Superintendent’s Letter: Student Information Available and Orientation Updates
- August 27: Superintendent’s Letter: Schedules Coming and Remote Learning Deadline and Technology
- August 20: Superintendent’s Letter: Virtual Reopening Panel Discussion and Recordings
- August 14: Superintendent’s Letter: Phased Reopening for Students
- August 11: District Update: Reopening FAQs Released and Virtua Panel Discussions for the Community
- August 7: Governor Andrew Cuomo announces that schools across NYS are permitted to open this fall
- August 6: District Update: Reopening Plans Posted and Selections Needed
- August 3: District notification to parents/guardians to make elections for remote-only learning and/or opting out of district transportation by August 10
- July 31: Guilderland Central School District Reopening Plan Released
- July 30: Superintendent’s Letter: Reopening Plans to be Posted and Important Info Needed
- July 23: Superintendent’s Letter: Preliminary plans and livestream panel discussion
- July 23: Preliminary Return to School Plan shared
- July 16: Superintendent’s Letter: Family reopening survey and communication from the district
- July 16: NYSED Reopening Guidance released
- July 13: Superintendent’s Letter: Reopening planning update and survey
- July 13: NYSED Guidance Framework released
- July 13: NYSDOH Interim Guidance for in-person instruction released
Families will receive reopening updates via email, text message and/or phone call (when needed) through our email communication tool, School Messenger. Please make sure to log into your School Messenger account to confirm your preferences on how to be contacted.
2020-21 Reopening Reference
- May-July: Solicit feedback about the remote learning experience during the 2019-20 closure, host focus groups on remote learning experience, send a survey to families about reopening and host a panel discussion on preliminary reopening plans.
- May-August: GCSD Reopening Steering Committee and Subcommittees meet regularly
- July 13-16: New York State guidance issued to school districts
- July 23: Preliminary reopening plans shared
- July 31: Per Governor Cuomo, school district reopening plans are due to the state and posted on the district website. View GCSD Reopening Plan.
- August 3-10: Families elect remote only-learning and use of transportation in.
- August 7: Governor Cuomo decides schools in New York State will reopen. Read more.
- August 18 – 20: Virtual Reopening Panel Discussions for the community.
- September 1-3: Superintendent’s Conference Days. No school for students.
- September 8-11: Phased Reopening Days for Students
- September 14: First Day of Regularly Scheduled School.
See welcome letter for: Elementary Grades K-4, FMS Grades 5-7, GHS Grades 8-12
GCSD Reopening Steering Committee
The district established a Reopening Steering Committee, a 40-person panel made up of GCSD administrators, teachers, staff and community members to create a comprehensive reopening plan for the 2020-21 school year. Given the nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, this will be a fluid process, with direction based on the latest available information and guidance from local and state governing bodies.
The committee has been meeting weekly since mid-May. Updates from the meetings will be shared every Thursday throughout the summer, starting July 16.
GCSD Reopening Subcommittees
Chair: Clifford Nooney, Director of Facilities, GCSD
Chair: Demian Singleton, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum & Instruction
- Health & Safety
Chair: Tim Murphy, Safety Specialist
- Social-Emotional Learning
Chair: Lisa Knowles, Director of Pupil Services
- Human Resources
Chair: Regan Johnson, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources
- Extra-Curricular Activities, Athletics and Special Areas
Co-Chairs: Bob Winans, District Music Administrator and Dave Austin, Director of Athletics
Guidance from the Governor
On Friday, August 7, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that based on the metrics he had previously outlined, all schools across New York will be allowed to reopen in all regions of the state in the fall, barring any spikes in COVID-19 infection rates or any concerning metrics. If infection rates go over 9% using a 7-day average, schools will close.