The health and safety of our students, our staff and their families is our top priority. We are in an environment of change and as a result, we will continue to modify, update the reopening plan as needed throughout the year.
- Read the Guilderland Central School District Reopening Plan
- Read the GCSD Reopening FAQs
- Return to School/COVID-19 Resources
A page to share COVID-19 updates and resources for the 2020-21 school year as the circumstances warrant.
- Jan. 3: All GCSD Schools Open for In-Person Learning As Planned on Jan. 4
- Dec. 15: 2020-21 School Year Weather-Related Closures and Delays
- Nov. 10: COVID-19 Tests and NYS Travel Updates
- Nov. 9: January 2021 Regents Exams Canceled
- Nov. 5: Selections for the Second Semester Due by Nov. 20
- Oct. 19: Symptoms of COVID-19 and Protocols for Returning to School
- Oct. 16: School Absences for Grades K-6
- Oct. 13: Free Meals for Students Through June 30, 2021
- Sept. 8: Technology Support for Parents and Students
Families will receive reopening updates via email, text message and/or phone call (when needed) through our email communication tool, School Messenger. Please make sure to log into your School Messenger account to confirm your preferences on how to be contacted.
2020-21 Reopening Reference
- May-July: Solicit feedback about the remote learning experience during the 2019-20 closure, host focus groups on remote learning experience, send a survey to families about reopening and host a panel discussion on preliminary reopening plans.
- May-August: GCSD Reopening Steering Committee and Subcommittees meet regularly
- July 13-16: New York State guidance issued to school districts
- July 23: Preliminary reopening plans shared
- July 31: Per Governor Cuomo, school district reopening plans are due to the state and posted on the district website. View GCSD Reopening Plan.
- August 3-10: Families elect remote only-learning and use of transportation in.
- August 7: Governor Cuomo decides schools in New York State will reopen.
- August 18 – 20: Virtual Reopening Panel Discussions for the community.
- September 1-3: Superintendent’s Conference Days. No school for students.
- September 8-11: Phased Reopening Days for Students.
- September 14: First Day of Regularly Scheduled School. See welcome letter for: Elementary Grades K-4, FMS Grades 5-7, GHS Grades 8-12
GCSD Reopening Steering Committee
The district established a Reopening Steering Committee, a 40-person panel made up of GCSD administrators, teachers, staff and community members to create a comprehensive reopening plan for the 2020-21 school year. Given the nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, this will be a fluid process, with direction based on the latest available information and guidance from local and state governing bodies.
The committee has been meeting weekly since mid-May 2020.
GCSD Reopening Subcommittees
Chair: Clifford Nooney, Director of Facilities, GCSD
Chair: Demian Singleton, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum & Instruction
- Health & Safety
Chair: Tim Murphy, Safety Specialist
- Social-Emotional Learning
Chair: Lisa Knowles, Director of Pupil Services
- Human Resources
Chair: Regan Johnson, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources
- Extra-Curricular Activities, Athletics and Special Areas
Co-Chairs: Bob Winans, District Music Administrator and Dave Austin, Director of Athletics